Powered By Blogger

Thursday 21 April 2011

Beastly by Alex Flinn

This is a book review of Beastly by Alex Flinn
I checked out this book because I saw the trailer for the film a while ago and wanted to read the book before the film came out.
The cover is simple with the single white rose and the words 'BEASTLY' written in capitals with the connotations of thorns on the letters which the rose is connected to. the rose is obviously used as it is a flower mentioned a lot in the story and other retelling's of this fairytale.
The book is written in modern day New York City and follows Kyle as he becomes a beast and how he and his family react to the transformation of him becoming a beast (yes a beast not someone covered in tattoos and some scars like the film portrays but a real beast that 'not quite wolf or gorilla or dog but a horrible new creature with fangs,claws and hair springing from every pore') 
I liked the pace and the concept of the story and felt the writing style was good. The chatroom added before each part of the book I enjoyed (the book is written in 5 parts) and these included other fairytale characters such as the Little Mermaid (SILENTMAID). These added a few extra characters and was a nice touch to the book which definitely was enjoyable.
At the beginning I was hooked on the book and finished it in one setting (304 pages with quite a large font) as it was a very quick easy read.
The character of Kyle at the beginning of the book annoyed me but as the book progressed I began to like Kyle as a character. My favourite character in the book was Lindy as I loved her attitude and how she developed as a character and towards the beast.
This book is definitely a quick and easy read. I would recommend reading it before the film (or after as i think it will be quite different) for a quick summer read and very enjoyable.
I will give this book a 4 as it was very enjoyable and the pace was good but not a book that will stay with you or one that you could talk about much with your friends. My favourite part was the ending but as the film does not use Kyle as a real beast will be interesting to see how this is filmed. 

No comments:

Post a Comment