Powered By Blogger

Thursday 21 April 2011

Jenny Downham Before I Die

This will be a book review of Before I Die by Jenny Downham.
I felt that I was going to enjoy this book as many of my friends had read it and told amazing things about it so I decided to check it out. The cover I feel is really nice and gives a scene of peace and a feel of sadness with her alone lying on the grass (see left).
The book is about a girl named Tessa who is Sixteen. We know that she is going to die and before she dies she has a list of things that she wants to complete before she passes.
From the first page the book had a gripped and was more graphic than I thought it would be when reading it. the font was a nice size and easy to read.
The pace of the book was fantastic and is didn't want to put the book down. I think that the character developments were amazing and you got a clear idea of all the characters.
My favourite character was Tessa as you really felt what she was going though and could really empathise with her and what she feeling. I also think the issue of cancer was executed enough in the book and gave you the information that you needed to know without every fact and boring the reader. Tessa also I feel gave a good representation of what someone might think about when there in this condition and how she grew up during the book. My only dislike in the book was Tessa's best friend Zoey but think that she did add to the story and with out her I don't think that Tessa would have been written in the same way.
I also loved the way in which the end of the book was written and gave you an idea in her head with the construction of the paragraphs.
I will give this book a 5 as it was perfect and would recommend everyone to read it. It is a book as said on the front cover as a quote that will make you 'happy to be alive' and also feel for people in the condition that Tessa is in. A book that will make you happy and sad and one that you could read again and again and still feel the emotion you did the first time.

No comments:

Post a Comment